Tuesday, October 4, 2011

New Ventures

Purging was pretty high on the list of goals for this year and I think I may have found a fun way to go about it.  Some friends of mine own a little antique store called Yesteryears located just off the town square.  It's one of my favorite stops when we have errands to run ...kind of like H&H Guns is Yeoldfurt's favorite stop.  We are usually together when we go either place, but I can be entertained at Yesteryears a lot longer than he can ...just as he can be entertained at H&H a lot longer than I can.  Possibly, the Venus/Mars phenomenon again.

A couple of years ago, Yeoldfurt and I discussed the possibility of consigning some of the things we want to sell to Yesteryears.  But we found out the owner doesn't do consignment, just rents booths to vendors with part of the 'rent' being a few hours a week of minding the store.  That was not an option for us because of our 40-week jobs so we didn't pursue it.  But recently I found out that the owner is now renting shelf space by the unit. One unit is a bookcase, approximately 3' x 6' with up to six adjustable shelves. The rent is $35/month, no requirement to put in hours at the store ...just a simple lease outlining acceptable items for sale and the terms of payment for sales made.  Very little is required of the seller other than to keep the shelves reasonably well-stocked.  Most of the things we want to purge around here are suitable to being displaying on a shelf so I think it's a win-win.    

After I got home with the vendor agreement, I started wondering how hard it was going to be to keep the shelves stocked.  I only have an hour or so of 'free time' in the evenings and Saturdays are already pretty full with odd chores and projects around here.  I wanted to come up with something I could make ahead and keep in quantity to fill space in between things I was purging.  I will be making some Cookie-in-a-Jar type recipes to give as gifts this Christmas and wondered if the owner of Yesteryears would consider letting me sell them on my shelf.  I sent her an email with a picture to show her what would be on the shelf and she loved the idea.  Oh, boy!  Cheap, easy, and fun to make ...I can get creative with the recipes and decorating the jars according to the season.  

I'm on vacation (I know ...again ...right?) on Friday this week so that Yeoldfurt can give me a ride to the paint shop to pick up my car.  He's on vacation until Sunday and I think he plans to head back home after he drops me off at the shop.  But while I'm out and about and have time on my hands, I think I'll go to the hobby store and maybe the fabric store for ideas and supplies.  I really think this is going to be fun.  If it turns out to be profitable too, all the better!

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Lynda said...

Oh, you are really going to have fun with this! I love the idea! I bet you'll be able to make a bit of spending money, too. Be sure and post pictures!

October 4, 2011 at 11:04 PM  
Blogger HossBoss said...

Lynda...
I will be setting up the bookcase on October 23, so that gives me this weekend and next to gather and price my purge items and get some inventory built up in the jars. I'll probably make more on the things I sell to purge than the jars, but I think it will be fun.

: )

October 5, 2011 at 5:06 AM  
Blogger Stephen said...

Great idea, have fun.

October 5, 2011 at 10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Venus/Mars, that's it alright. Most Mars types don't get all goo-goo eyed over a stinky little bar of soap all tied up in a ribbon. We sometimes politely smile and bob our heads when asked how cute it is, but mostly we just wonder, "what the hell are you thinking?" In a nice sort of way of course. ;-)

October 5, 2011 at 8:16 PM  
Blogger HossBoss said...

Us womenfolk wonder about the fixations ...er, I mean 'interests' ...you guys have sometimes too, AKA, and we smile and bob our heads as we wonder too. In a nice way, of course!

: )

October 7, 2011 at 4:19 PM  
Blogger Julie Harward said...

Sounds like a real good idea, I hope you can have fun with it and make it work for you! Thanks for your comments today, I am finding such dear hearts in blog-land! ;D

October 11, 2011 at 6:39 PM  
Blogger HossBoss said...

I meant every word, Julie ...I count you as a sister and a friend.

I'll let you know how the new venture goes. I think it will be both fun and worthwhile. I hope so, I'm saving for a special Christmas present for Yeoldfurt.

: )

October 11, 2011 at 9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home